My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

40-something college-educated woman with two children, widowed, remarried, employed, professional volunteer

Sunday, August 21, 2005

July 13, 3018, Edoras, Rohan

I learned much from Theodred and his cousin Eomer last night. First, they are more like brothers than cousins, having grown up in the same household since the death of Eomer's father, Eomund, husband of the king's sister. They told me that emissaries from Mordor have been to Rohan seeking horses, but the Rohirrim did not like their look and refused to trade with them. They love their horses as much as their children and would not send them to homes where they would be ill-used. This angered the Easterners, and they left in disgrace, but ever since there have been raids on their herds in the East. "Always the black horses are taken, and we fear they are put to evil use," they said.

I told them of the dream, and they listened intently. I learned that among the legends of their people are memories of a small seldom-seen people, "holbytla" in their tongue, who possess no magic but are a quiet simple folk, walking soundlessly on bare feet, and disappearing at will. They believe this might be the Halfling mentioned in the words of the dream. Of Imladris they knew nothing, as their people lived on the eastern side of the Misty Mountains, but the puzzle pieces are falling together, as they say, and tomorrow I shall take my leave and head for the river Isen. They have given me a fresh steed, a fine gift, who knows all the paths and streams of the Westfold. They have warned me to be wary crossing the Isen, and to pass as unnoticed as possible through the lands of the wizard.

Postscript: Eomer has a younger sister, who seems to be as cold and hard as ice, and as beautiful as a diamond. At all times, she attends the King, and listens carefully to every word spoken. If these were not such troubled times, and I was not heir to the seat of the Steward, I might fancy her. Eomer and Theodred are doughty men of arms, and I don't doubt that she could hold her own as well. The Rohirrim do not coddle their women.

She might make a good match for Faramir. I shall mention it to him when I return from my journey. It would be good to strengthen the alliance between our people.

Boromir

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home